About the park
The foundation of the pACentral amusement park was originally called the Nikolaev suburban park and was founded in 1893-1895. Then the city government proposed planting from 20 to 40 acres (1 tithe - 1.09 ha) on both sides of Sumy highway.
Since the allocated site was quite far from the city, the park was mainly intended for horse riding. They decided to smash it on the model of the Bois de Boulogne in France - with alleys for riding and riding in carriages.
For this purpose, along with the chestnut and linden alleys, the plan provided for the creation of the so-called “Crew” alley. In addition to them, the future park according to the project was to be distinguished by a large number of picturesque clearings and solitary trees. Thanks to the enthusiasm of the residents of the city, with the active participation of students and gymnasium students, the area of planting increased significantly, and by the time it was opened for visits in 1907, the park had increased its size by almost 2.5 times.
Park before World War II
In the Soviet era, the park entered with a new name: since it could not remain Nikolaev, in 1919 it became Communal. During the years of the revolution, the park suffered significant damage. But already in the spring of 1932, systematic and systematic restoration work began.
In the ten pre-war years, dramatic changes took place in the city park and forest park: the tram line was extended to Lesopark (1930), a trolleybus line from the city center to the park was opened (1939), and the Children's Railway was built with the Park end stations and "Forest Park" (1940).
Also, the Green Theater, a reading pavilion, a cinema, attractions, a parachute tower, which existed at least until the mid-1960s, were opened. Dynamo stadium appeared very close by. In the late 1930s, after the death of the writer Maxim Gorky, the park was named after him. From this moment, the townspeople visited the Central Park of Culture and Rest named after M. Gorky.
The war caused huge damage to Kharkov. During the occupation, a significant part of Gorky Park was cut down for firewood, the only cedar grove in Ukraine perished.
In the postwar years, from 1943 to 1953, squares and parks began to be actively revived in Kharkov; almost three million trees and shrubs were planted. As for Gorky Park, the main plantings in it, with which, in fact, its revival began, were carried out in 1946-1948. In 1952, a colonnade was built at the entrance to the park, designed by architects A. Krynkin and E. Svyatchenko.
In 1971, a cableway with a length of 1387 meters was put into operation on the territory of the park, which is still operating. Its route passes from the Park station through TsPKO im. M. Gorky and Sargin Yar to the Pavlovo Pole station. The Kharkov cable car was designed by the Prommekhanizatsiya Design Institute (Kharkov).
In 1960-80, the Green pop theater and the only color music hall in the Ukrainian SSR, led by Yuri Alekseevich Pravdyuk, worked in the park. Abandoned in the early 1990s, the color music hall fell into disrepair and a few years later it was demolished. Also in 1980, at the entrance to the park, a monument to Gorky was erected, on which sculptor L. worked.
In 2006, by the Day of the city, the colonnade was restored at the entrance to the park from the side of Sumskaya Street, demolished in the summer of 2001. In 2007, the fountain in the central square of the park was restored. In the spring of 2011, Gorky Park was closed for large-scale reconstruction. The monument was transferred to the Kuryazh colony, where Gorky often came to the pupils of Makarenko. Old pavilions and attractions were dismantled.
In 2010, a project began on the global reconstruction of the Park. It was a very large-scale project, which was able to be implemented in the shortest possible time.
On August 22, 2012, on the eve of the opening, the President of Ukraine visited the renewed park. On August 23, 2012, on the day of the liberation of Kharkov, the Central Amusement Park was inaugurated. The opening ceremony was attended by the chairman of the Kharkiv Regional State Administration Mikhail Dobkin, the mayor Gennady Kernes, the managing director of the Kharkov diocese of the UOC Archbishop of Kharkov and Bogodukhovsky Onufry, people's deputies of Ukraine and tens of thousands of Kharkiv citizens.
The squirrel became the symbol of the renewed park. For many decades, more than one generation of Kharkov citizens has come to feed these cute animals. This tradition is an integral part of the park.
During the reconstruction, new attractions made in Germany, Italy, Canada, France and the UK were installed. All rides 2011-2012 years of production. Among them - the best entertainment center in Ukraine, a roller coaster, the largest Ferris wheel in Ukraine (height - 55 m), the French carousel, the House of Horrors, as well as attractions for young children, a complex for extreme sports lovers, a rollerdrome, a retro zone , sports grounds, race track and other facilities.
Everything that was created in the Central Amusement Park was made by Kharkiv citizens for Kharkov citizens as well. The park has become the hallmark of Kharkov. This is a place where you can relax and have fun.
Park these days
Now the park is developing and every year surprises its visitors with new entertainments and beauties.
Recently, more than 1000 new plants and trees have appeared in the park, many of which were planted thanks to the “Plant a Tree” campaign.
Also in the park every year new entertainments for children and adults appear, for example, Billy Kid's Lair - a unique playground in the style of the Wild West.
In 2019, the Fairytale House was opened with a unique facade with animatronic figures of Snow White and the seven dwarfs. Inside there is a cafeteria and quest rooms.